Avoid annoying fees — and awkward conversations. Supplement your overdraft protection with Courtesy Pay.
- Cover transactions that would otherwise be denied or return unpaid
- Supplement overdraft protection – if your overdraft protection from your savings account or line of credit is depleted, Courtesy Pay takes effect
- Avoid costly merchant fees and embarrassment
- $28 fee per instance
How Courtesy Pay Works
Courtesy Pay costs you nothing unless you use it and is subject to a fee of $28 per instance. There are limitations on the total amount your account may be overdrawn, including fees. This amount is specific to your account and won’t exceed $5001. If there are insufficient funds to clear an item presented against your account, we may pay those items based on your Courtesy Pay limit.
Check Cards and Courtesy Pay
The financial reforms of 2009 mandate that after July 1, 2010, First Financial Credit Union may not pay overdraft transactions on your debit card transactions unless members have chosen this option.
If you would like to have First Financial Credit Union authorize and pay overdrafts on your everyday debit card transactions, please complete the opt in form using the button above or below.
What You Need to Know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if First Financial Credit Union pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $28 each time we pay an overdraft.
- There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account on a daily basis.
- There are limitations on the total amount your account may be overdrawn, including fees. This amount is specific to your account and won’t exceed $500.00*.
*Specific checking accounts that are no longer offered may have overdraft limits up to $1,500.
What if I want First Financial Credit Union to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you also want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, fill out the online form below or call (505) 766-5600 (800-342-8298).
1Specific checking accounts that are no longer offered may have overdraft limits up to $1,500.